The Association of Nigerian Authors [ANA] hereby calls for entries for its 2014 Annual Literary Prizes. Nigerian writers, home and abroad, desirous of entering their works for the Annual Literary Prizes, may now do so. Works entered should have been published between 2013 and March 2014.
1. An entry fee of N3,000 per entry, paid by the author or the publisher, in favour of: Association of Nigerian Authors First Bank of Nigeria Plc [Bodija Market Branch Ibadan] Account No. 2020543538
Please Note [a] The entry fee is for the purpose of prize administration only. [b] A photocopy of the appropriate Deposit Slip[s] MUST accompany Requirement 2 below.
2. Six copies (6) of the book or manuscript to be entered, specifying the Prize being entered for, alongside a covering letter and the photocopy of the Deposit Slip used in Requirement 1 above, should be sent by post to:
Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA)
c/o National Council for Arts and Culture
PMB 252 Garki
Plot 1370 Ukpo Close, off Oro Ago Crescent
Garki 2, Abuja
The covering letter should contain accurate contact details of the writer or/and publisher of the work, including email and surface mail addresses and telephone numbers.
Please Note [a] The Association will NOT take responsibility for entries sent by post nor will it claim registered parcels in cases where it has to pay for such entries or parcels. [b] Multiple entries, where applicable, are allowed but a work must not have been entered for the same prize prior to the present entry and it must have been published between 2013 and 2014.
1. ANA Prize for Poetry (published & unpublished) – N 100, 000.
2. ANA Prize for Prose Fiction (published & unpublished) – N 100, 000.
3. ANA Prize for Drama (published & unpublished) – N 100, 000.
4. ANA Prize for Literary Journalism – N 100, 000 (Deadline: September 30, 2014).
5. ANA/Chevron Prose Prize on Environmental Issues (Prose) – $2,000.00 (published works only).
6. ANA/Esiaba Irobi Prize for Playwrighting – N50, 000.00 (published & unpublished works).
7. ANA/Lantern Books Prize for Children’s Fiction – N 100, 000.00 (unpublished works only, ages 8 – 15). Winning entry to be published by Lantern Books.
8. ANA/NECO Teen Author Prize (prose) N 100, 000.00 (published & unpublished works).
9. ANA/Mazariyya Teen Authors Prize (poetry) N 50, 000.00 (published & unpublished works).
10. Maria Ajima Prize for Literary Criticism (Focus on African Literature) – N100,000
SPECIFIC GUIDELINES for Teen Authors Prize (published and unpublished works).
1. Entrants must be students in any secondary school in Nigeria.
2. Entries must be a collection or a single story of between 35 – 40 pages or above for prose or poetry.
3. Illustration (optional).
4. Accompanying documents are:
(i) Signed letter of identification from school principal on school letterhead.
(ii) Two passport photographs, name, and copy of birth certificate of the entrant.
(iii) Entrant’s school admission letter (photocopy).
(iv) Current cumulative record of entrant’s academic performance (junior or secondary school).
(v) Letter of consent from parents. (vi) Entrant’s or their guardian’s email, and surface mail address and phone number.
5. Unpublished entries (in four copies) should be properly bound.
6. Teen Authors are NOT required to pay an entry fee. S
SPECIFIC GUIDELINES (Unpublished works) Length: Between 25-30 pages of A4 paper size following format of academic essays.
1. Type double spaced using MS Word. Use Times New Roman Type face 12 point font size.
2. The essay must not have been published before in any journal, book or electronic device.
3. Referencing style is either the latest MLA or APA style.
4. Five hard copies as loose sheets or as a bound monograph are to be submitted to ANA, plus a soft copy sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
5. The competition will be rotated annually in areas surrounding poetry, drama, prose fiction and theory. Any of these genres can be orature-based.
6. The essay should not be of generalized survey, but should rather be focused on specific texts of a few selected authors at a time, whether oral or written.
7. The essay should state where the texts or performance analysed could be accessed or located. In addition, all other rules pertaining to ANA competitions are applicable. Copyright: The copyright to every winning entry is to be held by the Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA), Maria Ajima Trust, and the author of the work.
The winning entry will be published in subsequent ANA Reviews.
DEADLINE Deadline for the receipt of ALL entries, excepting the Prize for Literary Journalism, for the 2014 ANA Literary Prizes is July 7, 2014.
A shortlist will be announced in mid-September, 2014.
Winners of the prizes will be announced by the judges at the Awards Dinner during the 33nd International Annual Convention of the Association of Nigerian Authors in October/November, 2014.
Publicity Secretary [North]
Association of Nigerian Authors