President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday denied abandoning the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Programme (SURE-P) as was being reported and presented by “detractors of his administration.” Instead, he said the original document was being reviewed as it was based on total deregulation and not upward adjustment of fuel pump price. President Jonathan said given the realities on ground, the full implementation of the SURE programme as originally put together was no longer feasible but however did not amount to total abandonment of the programme. He said he was only misrepresented based on a statement he made on February 20, before the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
In a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, said there were deliberate efforts to always misrepresent the President even when he made very clear statements just in the name of opposition to the government which was not fair. “At no time did President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan say that the Federal Government had abandoned the SURE programme. What he said in his opening remarks at the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting last week, was that the full implementation of government’s palliatives to cushion the negative effects of the fuel subsidy removal as contained in the original SURE programme, was no longer feasible and will be reviewed in view of the partial rather than full removal of the subsidy on petrol,” Abati said.